According to a history
of the community Giesing (now a part of the city of
Munich) is, at least, half of a millennium older
than Munich and is one of the oldest settlements in
Bavaria. At the latest, in 550 A.D. Kyeso, the head
of a Bavarian clan of 50 to 60 in number,
immigrating from the north or north-east, tired of
the restless moving about, took land under
cultivation and built homes. The settlement Kyesinga
(clan of Kyeso) on the right bank of the Isar River
was located on the hillside which made it easy to
defend. In documents it was first mentioned on 14
July 790 A.D. when the priest Icho presented his
inherited estate at Giesing (Kyesinga) to Bishop
Otto, the Bishop of Freising. Likely Icho was
permitted to be pastor at Giesing. The great
antiquity of the settlement was also confirmed
through the early Bavarian cemetery with 253 graves
which were discovered at the building of the new
school house in 1899...The deceased from the clan of
Kyeso and their descendants to about 700 A.D. were
buried in this cemetery which lies between the
present Icho and Silberhorn streets.
"In another historical reference to
this cemetery, it is recorded that over 300 skeletons,
some in caskets and some only covered with a board were
found. Under these boards were men in armor and with
weapons, women with jewelry of amber and bronze and also
numerous children. All were buried facing east...
Chamois is located in one of the
most picturesque sections of the state, on the Missouri
River and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, is located 13
miles north of Linn, Missouri. The greater portion of
the land upon which the city is located was entered by
J. M. Laughlin and settled by the Shobe's in 1818,
before the river had encroached upon the bottom land
north of Chamois.
The town was given its name by
Morgan Harbor, who was one of the first settlers to
locate near the location of the present city. He
conducted a saloon and hotel in a two story double log
house, sometimes prior to 1855. This building was
destroyed by fire in the winter of 1859. Wheeler and
Knott erected a building near the site of the post
office and in 1855 Andrew Fitzpatrick built a house on
North Main street. The post office was constructed in
1858; during the same year Mrs. P. Sauer’s home was
completed and the Masonic Hall was erected on the site
of Walker and Shobe’s saloon. Thomas Green built a log
saloon on Pacific street near Mr. Adam’s Log store. E.
A. Dudgeon’s house was the first built on the hill.
There had been an old log house built on the Old Pryor’s
Mill road long before buildings appeared in Chamois. Dr.
D. W. S. McCall built his house on Main street and in
1851 Rhodes and Miller built the first saw mill. A brick
kiln was started by F. Vallet and Welton and Hunter
built a store which was later used as a Catholic Church
in 1858. The town experienced rapid growth in 1873 when
the repair shop and the round-house was located there.
The railroad was completed from St. Louis to Jefferson
City, Missouri in the summer of 1855, and the great
railroad disaster, when the Gasconade River bridge gave
way under a heavily loaded excursion train occurred
November 1, 1855. The excursion was to celebrate the
opening of the railroad for traffic, the great
catastrophe happened, in which 200 lives were lost.
The Bank of Chamois was established
in 1890, this was the first bank in Osage County and
remained in business till 1936. The Peoples Bank of
Chamois was established in 1913 and closed in 1935. The
Chamois Roller Mills was built in 1913, but a flour mill
had been in operation many years prior, being known as
the burr mill.
The Osage County Enterprise,
formerly called the "Liberalist" (now the News of Osage
County) was established in 1888 by A. J. Childers,
during the year of the great "Knights of Labor Strike"
on the railroad.
The Catholic Church was founded in
1865, the Methodist Church in 1868, the Christian Church
in 1870, the Colored Church in 1872 and the Evangelical
Church in 1885. The Masonic Lodge was chartered in 1859.
The city was lighted by electric lights for the first
time in the fall of 1914. The city water work and sewer
system was installed in 1923. The International Shoe
Company opened a branch factory in Chamois in 1923,
which operated until 1932.
The Chamois high school was
accredited and approved as a first class four high
school in 1920. During the World War, Chamois organized
the 138th Field Hospital Company, which was sent over
seas and rendered valiant service with no loss of life.
Chamois organized the first First-Aid Red Cross in
Missouri in 1917 and the class was chartered by act of
Congress prior to the organization of Osage County
American Red Cross Chapter, which was also organized in
Chamois, and the headquarters of the chapter remained in
Chamois until 1938 when it was transferred to Linn,
Missouri , the county seat.
12th Regiment, Missouri Infantry
Organized at St. Louis, Mo.,
August, 1861. Attached to Fremont's Army of the West to
January, 1862. 2nd Brigade, Army of Southwest Missouri,
to February, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Army of
Southwest Missouri, to May, 1862. 3rd Division, Army of
Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern
Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to December, 1862. 1st
Brigade, 11th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps
(Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 2nd
Brigade, 4th Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to
January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, to September,
1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to
December, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army
Corps, to November, 1864.
SERVICE.-Fremont's advance on
Springfield, Mo., September to November, 1861. Moved to
Jefferson City, thence to Sedalia and Springfield. To
Wilson's Creek October 6-8. Duty at Rolla till January,
1862. Expedition to Danville December 26, 1861. Curtis'
Campaign in Missouri and Arkansas against Price January
to March, 1862. Advance on Springfield February 2-16.
Pursuit of Price into Arkansas February 14-29. Battles
of Pea Ridge, Ark., March 6-8. March to Batesville April
5-May 3; thence to Helena, Ark., May 25-July 14.
Expedition from Helena to mouth of White River August
5-8. Moved to Ironton-Pilot Knob, Mo., September 1. To
St. Genevieve November 12, and return to Helena November
23. Sherman's Yazoo Expedition December 22, 1862, to
January 3, 1863. Chickasaw Bayou December 26-28.
Chickasaw Bluff December 29. Expedition to Arkansas
Post, Ark., January 3-10, 1863. Assault and capture of
Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post, January 10-11. Moved to
Young's Point, La., January 17-23. Duty there till March
and at Milliken's Bend till April. Expedition to
Greenville, Black Bayou and Deer Creek April 2-14.
Demonstration on Haines and Drumgould's Bluffs April
29-May 2. Moved to join army in rear of Vicksburg,
Miss., via Richmond and Grand Gulf May 2-14. Mississippi
Springs May 12-13. Jackson May 14. Siege of Vicksburg,
Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and
22. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Siege of
Jackson July 10-17. Bolton's Depot July 16. Brier Creek,
near Canton, July 17. Clinton July 18. Camp at Big Black
till September 27. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., thence march
to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 27-November 21.
Operations on Memphis & Charleston Railroad in
Alabama October 20-29. Cherokee Station October 21 and
29. Cane Creek October 26. Tuscumbia October 26-27.
Battles of Chattanooga November 23-27. Lookout Mountain
November 23-24. Mission Ridge November 25. Ringgold Gap,
Taylor's Ridge, November 27. March to relief of
Knoxville November 28-December 8. Garrison duty in
Alabama at Woodville and Scottsboro, Ala., and at
Cleveland, Tenn., to May, 1864. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign
May 1 to September 8. Demonstration on Resaca May 8-13.
Battle of Resaca May 13-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25.
Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona
Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and
against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Bushy Mountain
June 15-17. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek
July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 6-17. Battle of
Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
Ezra Chapel, Hood's 2nd Sortie, July 28. Flank movement
on Jonesboro August 25-30. Lovejoy Station September
2-6. Pursuit of Hood into Alabama October 1-21. Mustered
out by Companies from August 12 to November 14, 1864.
Consolidated with Detachments from 3rd and 17th Missouri
Volunteer Infantry and subsequently transferred to 15th
Regiment lost during service 10
Officers and 102 Enlisted men killed and mortally
wounded and 2 Officers and 94 Enlisted men by disease.